Root canal – can bring tears to even the strongest and most fearless patients. If a tooth is so badly decayed or infected the most likely course of treatment is to perform root canal therapy. Sometimes extraction may be necessary if you wait too long, so it’s very important to call us as soon as you see or feel any indication of an abscess.
Signs and symptoms of a tooth abscess (courtesy of the Mayo Clinic) include:
- Swelling in your face or cheek
- Sensitivity to the pressure of chewing or biting
- Tender, swollen lymph nodes under your jaw or in your neck
- Severe, persistent, throbbing toothache
- a rush of foul-smelling and foul-tasting fluid in your mouth and cessation of pain if the abscess ruptures
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
The best way to avoid the hassle of a root canal is to practice good oral hygiene daily to prevent the buildup of plaque and bacteria. Brushing at least twice a day, flossing, and the use of mouthwash can prevent so many unnecessary dental complications.
If you have any questions and would like to schedule a visit for an exam, please call our Staten Island Dentist Office at (718) 494-2200 or contact us online: https://drmarianadds.com/contact-us/